Our Attorneys Have Decades Of Experience And We Truly Care About Our Clients

  1. Home
  2.  ▶ 
  3. Real Estate Law
  4.  ▶ Landlord/Tenant Law FAQ

Commercial And Residential Landlord/Tenant Law FAQ

Laws are in place to protect both the owners/landlords and tenants of rental properties, whether they are for residential or commercial use. The law office of Murphy, Butterfield & Holland, P.C., has been protecting the rights of both landlords and tenants based on the laws and regulations determined by the state of Pennsylvania. Here are brief answers to questions we are frequently asked about landlord/tenant law.

How do I get rid of a tenant who isn’t paying?

Pennsylvania law requires you to go through district court.

Can I withhold rent if a landlord isn’t making necessary repairs?

Pennsylvania does allow withholding of rent if the rented property is seriously deficient, violating codes or affecting the residents’ health and safety.

Can a landlord raise the rent?

A landlord may raise the rent at the end of a lease term or at any time if there is no current lease agreement.

What if I want to get out a lease agreement?

It’s best to begin the process with a lawyer on your side.

How do I find a “good” tenant?

A few steps toward finding a responsible tenant include having prospective tenants fill out an application. Call the references and previous landlord, verify employment and check public records available from the county courthouse.

Contact Murphy, Butterfield & Holland, P.C., For A Consultation

For answers to your specific questions and legal advice, speak with our experienced landlord/tenant law attorneys. Please feel free to call our office in Williamsport at 570-326-6505 or send us an email to arrange for a consultation.